- CAP: 13040
- Zona: Vercellese
- Altitudine: 194 metri
- Sito web: http://www.comune.saluggia.vc.it
Saluggia rises near one of the banks of the Dora Baltea river.
The Castle of Saluggia was made of an imposing fortress with six towers. Nowadays only two are left, together with the main body which is partially being used as a private home and the remaining part, where it is still possible to see some merlons of the ancient building.
Towards the middle of the XVI century, the Pastoris counts had a new palace built. This is now the headquarters of the Town Hall; to enter it is necessary to use a brick bridge similar to a drawbridge, where it is possible to admire external decorating frescos representing hunting scenes.
In the interior it is possible to see the kitchen and part of the big chimney, whilst on the upper floor there are some coffered ceilings and the frescoed vault mouldings. The main hall of the building, now used by the Town Council, is decorated by fourteen frescos representing the Succession war of Monferrato.
The existing Parish of Saint Gratus, was built in 1585: of the original construction only the main nave is left.
In the centre of the ancient medieval village, there is the Palazzo Appiani, which belongs to the Mazzetti counts and which had been donated to the Order of Saint Vincent until 1974. At the moment it is used as a home.
For many centuries Saluggia has been divided into districts, with the addition of the hamlet of Sant’Antonio. Each district has its church or chapel as a reference point. Noteworthy are the church of Saint John , the church of Saint Roch and Sebastian and the church of San Bonaventura.